– The Civil Technician is to carry out the installation, modification and repair of building fabric and structures including wall, floor and ceilings. To ensure compliance with all statutory requirements and quality of workmanship whilst adhering to safe working practices at all times. Be willing to multi-task, work on systems and provide support across all disciplines, as requested by Team Leader or line management.
Reason for Role:
– The role is essential in delivering building related projects.
Structure and reporting relationship
– The Civil Technician reports to the Team Leader
Based on the specific Requirement of the Role:
Reporting to the Team Leader, key responsibilities will include:
– Carry out the installation, repair and modification of building fabric and structures including walls, floors, ceilings, partitioning, pressure pointing and general structural repairs and finishes etc.
– Work alone or in a team with minimal supervision to undertake new installation, project and repair works for reconfiguration of space, or similar.
– Monitor, rectify and/or repair building fabric systems and services and maintain and update records on a daily basis.
– Participate in overtime, shift work and/or out of hours working as governed by the necessity to deliver against project timescales.
– Carry out installation works as directed by the Team Leader and adhere to Risk Assessments, Method Statements and/or Standard Operating Procedures.
– Conform to all necessary internal and/or external approvals before, during and after installation including Permit to Work procedures.
– Integrate and communicate effectively with other trade staff (MEP and Civil) as required.
– Maintain up to date knowledge through technical training provided by the Team Leader for the safe installation.
– Ensure areas of work are kept tidy and all assets and building structures are kept to a good condition to promote the professionalism of the company
– Participate in the Health, Safety & Risk programs including toolbox talks, health safety and environmental training related to work activities especially working at height.
– Use safe systems of work when working with all building services and equipment.
– Deputise for, and undertake other tasks as directed by the Team Leader and/or line management.
Quality, Health, Safety & Environment Job Responsibilities:
– To comply with the organisation’s QHSE policies and procedures at all times.
– Fully support the Team Leader & QHSE Managers in the delivery of the project service for QHSE compliance, policies, procedures and systems that support a safe and professional work place and ethics.
– To work safely at all times and to report all hazards and incidents.
– To actively participate in all QHSE training, programs, audits and inspections, as necessary.
– To exercise a personal duty of care for your own health, safety and welfare and to that of all others.
– To lead by example and ensure to protect the environment by conservation of electricity, water and other natural resources, and minimising generation of waste.
Information Security Responsibilities:
– To protect information assets including both electronic and paper based from all threats whether internal, external, accidental or deliberate.
Essential technical and professional skills, knowledge and qualifications
The Civil Technician should have proven experience in installation/construction, with emphasis on building projects.
– Vocational training certificate, or other relevant and recognized qualifications
– High School Diploma
– Good level of English language both written and spoken
– Good knowledge and understanding of all building services/systems
– Ability to read and understand drawings in relation to modification, refurbishment and construction works.
– Have an understanding of ADCD and municipality building regulations.
– Able to foster good relations with colleagues and other departments and be a good team player.
– Have a competent command of both spoken and written English
– Flexibility, excellent attention to detail and ability to identify key issues.
– Able to work under stringent deadlines and high pressure environment.
– Technically competent with a clear technical understanding of building fabric services and associated equipment
– Proficient and able to demonstrate a complete understanding of installation and repair services.
– Technical and safety awareness with a clear understanding in the use of tools and associated equipment.
– Three years plus in refurbishment/construction/maintenance services
– Experience of working with multi-trade, multi-national teams
Additional / specific features of the role
– Ensure compliance with the Serco Management System and all relevant business processes, procedures and work instructions to deliver all work with appropriate quality and governance standards.
– Ensure security and integrity of all data provided including reporting performance, finance and customer information; reference Serco non-disclosure policy.
– To exercise personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by their acts or omissions; reference SMS GSOP-HSE1-6 Serco organisational HSE responsibilities.
– Ensure compliance with all training requirements of Serco and ensure adherence to these requirements at all times whilst in employment.
– Report any accidents, incidents, breaches or potential breaches to appropriate management or the speak-up process.
– To perform any other reasonable duty as instructed by Serco management.
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative.
Please note: Serco reserves the rights to withdraw this job publication at any given time.